Reuse of Gift Basket Shred and Fill
Bella Vino Gift Baskets uses either recyclable paper shred or excelsior for our basket fill.
What is excelsior? It is wood shavings, usually from Aspen trees, also known as 'wood wool'. It is 100% natural and has many applications for use in and around your home.
Here are a few ideas you might do rather than throwing away your excelsior.
- Put it out in your yard for the birds. They will use it to make their nests!
- Use it as Plant Cover. In the winter, it will Insulate your outdoor plants' roots from cold and prevent moisture loss in the summer. For indoor plants, it will extend the time between waterings by covering the soil to slow evaporation. It also acts as a sponge to hold water.
- Shipping something? Use excelsior or paper shred as a way to fill space and cushion your items inside. Excelsior molds around items nicely.
- Crafters & those who sew can use excelsior for stuffing hand made stuffed animals or decorative pillows.
- Does your child have a pet like a hamster or mouse? Put it in their cage! They will be sure to use it for nesting.
- Use it in a fruit bowl as decoration for a table centerpiece. Put it at the bottom of the bowl and nestle the fruit into it.
- Use it in vases with artificial flowers. When you put it in the bottom of a vase, you disguise the unattractive ends of the flowers that show at the bottom.
- Use it for Halloween decoration such as inside of scare crows or glue on as hair. While we use excelsior in its natural form, you can dye it for your decorative purposes. Try soaking it in some Kool-Aid or dye tablets that you use for Easter eggs and then let dry.
- Reuse it in your next gift!
Many of these ideas can also apply to paper shred such as reuse in decorations, re-gifting, crafts and shipping. Don't have a need for any of these reuse ideas? Paper shred is recyclable in the Corvallis area, so be sure to put it in your recycle bin, rather than your garbage can. Remember to put it in a paper bag, first! Outside of Corvallis, check with the recycle company in your area for specific rules applying to shredded paper.